Jakarta. The government expects more than 20 toll roads spread across the islands of Java and Sumatra to become fully operational this year.
"Last year, around 227 kilometers of toll roads were unable to be fully developed. Those 227 km will complement another 766 km of new toll roads that will become operational this year," said Herry Trisaputra Zuna, head of the Toll Road Regulatory Agency, or BPJT, during a festival celebrating the inaugural Ngawi-Kertosono toll road in Madiun, East Java, last week.
The new toll roads measure a total distance of 993 km and cost approximately Rp 100 trillion ($7 billion) to develop.
Last year, according to data from BPJT, only 152 km of new roads became operational, including 92 km of toll roads in Java and 60 km of toll roads in Sumatra.
Herry said the Ngawi-Kertosono toll road, part of the mega 1,167-kilometer TransJava toll road project, will be the first road to become operational this year, slated for early February.
"After that, it will continue with [the opening of] Solo-Ngawi toll road and another. Then, there will be at least one toll road inauguration per month throughout this year," he said.
Earlier, Public Works and Housing Minister Basuki Hadimuljono said that most part of the TransJava network will be completed by the end of 2018.
List of New Toll Roads in 2018
- Bakauheni-Terbanggi Besar (140.71 km)
- Ngawi-Kertosono (90.08 km)
- Ciawi-Sukabumi-Cigombong (15.35 km)
- Pemalang-Batang (39.2 km)
- Depok-Antasari-Bojong Gede (22.6 km)
- MKTT section I and VII (20.05 km)
- Batang-Semarang (75 km)
- Musilandas-Kayu Agung-Palembang-Betung (67.4 km)
- Cileunyi-Sumedang-Dawuan (31.3 km)
- Solo-Ngawi (87.19 km)
- Pejagan-Pemalang (37.3 km)
- Palembang-Indralaya (14.18 km)
- Cinere-Jagorawi section 2 (5.5 km)
- Gempol-Rembang-Pasuruan (8.1 km)
- Bekasi-Cawang-Kampung Melayu (3.19 km)
- Bogor Ring Road section 2b (2.05 km)
- Pasuruan-Probolinggo section 1 to 3 (32.39 km)
- Terbanggi Besar-Pematang Panggang-Kayu Agung (185 km)
- Semarang-Solo section 4 to 5 (32.54 km)
- Porong Gempol section Porong-Kejapanan (7.05 km)
- Medan-Binjai section 1 (6.27 km)
- Pekanbaru-Dumai (32.8 km)
- Krian-Legundi-Manyar (38.2 km)
Total: 993.45 km